Monday, September 14, 2009

Days 69 and 70 - The Winter Season Begins

Training for hockey, or any specific sport, should go through different stages of periodization.  To make clear that sentence up better, I will break down 365 days in the life of a hockey referee this way:

1. Winter Season - this is the "real deal" season.  This is where you are working to continually conquer the league you are at (trademark, Terry Gregson).  This is the "true season".  This is the one where you DEFINITELY want to work the Championship game and/or Finals.

2. Off Season Development Games - I characterize these games as end-of-thee-season all star festivals, Advanced 15/16/17 tryouts, Elite I and Elite II games, etc.  These are hockey games/tournaments where (a) there is REAL coaching (not just some parent volunteer, etc.).

3. Off Season Training - This is what you do to train your body hard for the upcoming Winter season.

Of all of these seasons, the Off Season Training is where you push yourself the hardest.  You do Need to have a period of recovery/relaxation in your routine (I'd suggest 3 weeks on/1 week off...even 3 most HARD, 1 month "Coast" -- something to keep it "fresh" and avoid "burnout").

Soooo....

I am now in Season #1 up there.  I limit my workouts on game days.  I will go from 6 days a week with fervor and drive, to 4-5 days of maintenance.  This is not necessarily a time to push yourself to unbelieveable gains.  This is a time to "keep your edge".

I am going to stop at this point, because this is kind of like trying to describe archetecture through print.  Tough.  Check out [Jack instead].

email me if you want more info: info@ultimateofficials.com

No comments:

Post a Comment