Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 85 - Another Off Day...Hockey Season Conditioning

Here's what I have discovered to work best for me during the hockey season:

Train hard 4 days a week.  For me, its usually Tue through Friday.  Even if I am reffing games on Tuesday through Friday nights, I am still working out then.  I will workout on Monday, too, if I feel real spunky.  Otherwise, the 4 workout days work for me.  I am definitely pushing myself to get even more gains in athletic ability.  I won't just go through some stuff for maintenance.  I really don't believe in maintenance (do you think elite athlete's really believe in maintenance?  I am talking about something like riding a stationary bike for 30 -45 minutes?  Forget it!  I read stories about Wes Walz in his late 30's, skating for the Minnesota Wild, and running on a treadmill AFTER a game.  Or you hear about guys riding a stationary bike AFTER a game...there's no wimpy workouts in there).

To adjust for the demands I put upon myself on the ice (because I "Bring It" every game I work), I will lay off the gas pedal a bit by limiting the days I workout...no less than 3 and 4 seems to be the magic number.

REMEMBER: When I went through P90X the first time through, I averaged 3-4 workouts a week, and cut 2 inches off my waist, added two inches to my chest and 1/4 inch to my arms and legs.

So....see you in the workout room tomorrow!

(By the way, through my great friend and SWAT Teammate, Adam Shadiow, I now have been introduced even more to the Insantiy workouts.  That's what I am going to do next.  Gulp!)

No comments:

Post a Comment